Wednesday, October 12, 2011

No Time To Decorate

The summer flew by. Schools are back in session and the leaves have started to fall off the trees. 


Every year I think that as soon as my girls are back in school that I can get back to what I need to do around the house and with my business. I seem to always make that mistake. I forget how many additional activities and items get put into the schedule... Brownies, art, swimming, homework, play dates, school meetings, business meetings - the list goes on. My girls are busy and my husband is as well - and they keep me busy. 


That is often what I hear from my clients - they simply don't have the time to focus on decorating. Of course I can totally appreciate that sentiment. And it makes me think about how I decorate my own home. I wish that I could spend the same amount of time contemplating my house as I do others. But unless I start making appointments with myself (hmm, there might be something to that) I simply can't. So how do I manage to decorate my own home? In small blocks of time - fits and starts. 


Sometimes I ponder something that I don't like for a while until something inspires me to change it. I see something on a shopping trip or even in my own home - something that will update and liven the space. Maybe some new pillows, new artwork or simply moving things around - rearranging things will bring new life to a room. While not drastic changes, they change the mood of the space or make it feel more cohesive and finished. 


Example #1 - My husband, in his attempts at style, built our home and made some long-lasting decisions. One such decision was building in a huge, over-sized mirror in the living room. For months and months I looked at the mirror and could think of nothing more than just taking it down - it was too over-scale, and oddly shaped and positioned in the wall. Fixing the wall and repainting it would cost more than my husband would want to spend (budget is always a major concern for my fiscally-minded husband, but that's for another blog), plus he put the mirror there and liked it. So what could I do? Finally, I realized that if I embraced the mirror and strategically hung some artwork over it I would be able to scale it down in a way that would make it seem purposeful. Maybe not the perfect solution, but still interesting. And instead of looking odd, it looked like a way to accent a piece of art. At some point I'll take it down, but the mirror has a stay of execution - for now.


Sometimes, if I'm very lucky, something happens that forces the change.


Example #2 - Again, my husband installed white carpet in our Living and Dining Rooms. Which I'm sure looked beautiful when first installed. But we are in the days of hardwood flooring. It's easier to maintain and clean, and frankly more attractive. So one night we hosted a large event at our home. The caterer spilled the juice from a Roast Beef pan all over my white carpet in the Dining Room. Looks like a murder scene. Instead of getting upset, I am ecstatic - I finally get to replace that dated white carpet in the Living and Dining rooms with beautiful wide-plank hardwoods (it's so much more economical to do more than one space!) Boy did it make a difference in those spaces. It really gave them an updated, more sophisticated look. They look amazing.


So what have you learned from my experience? That decorating a home is a process. With patience, creativity and maybe a little help from your local, friendly decorator, you too will have spaces you will love!

No comments:

Post a Comment