Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Can You Mix Metals?


The short answer is - yes. You can read on if you want my explanation or if you need convincing... :)

I work with a lot of clients that are left with the choices that were made by the previous owners of the home. Replacing the metal items in your home can be very costly - have you ever counted how many door knobs you have in your home? Or what if you love a particular lighting fixture, but it only comes in one metal color and the rest of your house is all in another tone? What do you do?

My favorite saying when decorating is - embrace that which you cannot change. So if you have brass doorknobs all over your house, but you are into brushed nickel or have shiny chrome faucets but like the look of black oil-rubbed bronze what can you do? Embrace the metals and mix it up.

For the past several years, layering colors has been all the rage in fashion. Have you noticed the layers upon layers of bracelets and necklaces in different styles and colors? I love that look and have tried my hand at it lately. It's so fun and immediately adds interest to an outfit.

All that is beautiful in fashion eventually makes it to the home - and layering metals is no exception. So take a look. Let me know what you think - do you like it? Would you be brave enough to do it?

Pretty mix of jewelry metals and styles.

A neutral backdrop makes the mixed elements standout.

Again neutral backdrop and nice mix of metals.

Mix of styles woods and metals. So pretty.

Simple modern pieces highlight mixture of materials.

Take a look at my Ideabook on Houzz.com - below. I've mixed some products together to create a Master Bedroom. I kinda love it. What do you think? Would love to hear your thoughts. 










Copyright - Cristina Mullins Interiors, 2012 / Visit me on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment