Monday, November 19, 2012

Lobby Love - Hotels As Destinations That Inspire

I have always loved to travel. I was lucky because growing up with immigrant parents (my father was born in Italy and my mother was born in Uruguay and both earned the citizenship in the 90s) meant I was able to travel to some wonderful places. As a child, staying in a hotel was almost as much fun as exploring the destination. If the hotel had a pool - well I was in heaven!

Traveling with my girls I can see their enthusiasm for the same things I loved as a child. However, my tastes have changed since then. My love of hotels has wained. Now it's more about aesthetic design, cleanliness, beds and pillows, free WiFi, a decent TV, and quiet.

And while not all hotels offer the same level of amenities - especially the quiet - I am still a sucker for an amazing hotel lobby. When they are beautifully designed it just makes the experience that much more delightful, and can provide wonderful inspiration for your home.

Here are some amazing hotel lobbies - some I have been fortunate to stay in and some that I would love to visit in my lifetime.


One of my favorite hotel lobbies that I have personally visited is at the Ritz Carlton in Philadelphia, PA. The hotel is situated on the city's Avenue of the Arts where theaters, shopping, restaurants, and fine art venues abound. The hotel is located in the old Girard Bank Building, which was built in the 1830's. The lobby is a stunning marbled, three-story rotunda and is filled with modern furnishings and lighting structures that highlight, rather than compete, with the interior's original neo-Classical style.

The Gritti Palace in Venezia (Venice), Italy is truly what its name says - it's a Palace. As such every space is filled with exquisite replicas and antiques of the period. The Gritti Palace dates back to 1525 when its construction began. At first the official residence of the Gritti family, the palace was later used as the residence of the Vatican ambassadors to Venice. Later still, it was home to successive noble families, as the Pisanis and again the Grittis in 1814, when it was purchased by Camillo Gritti. Over the centuries it has had illustrious guests, as it was the habit for noble palaces. I happened to have fortune enough to be one of them in 2000 and I've never felt more like a princess.

The Gresham Palace Four Seasons Hotel in Budapest was originally built in 1906 by the Gresham Life Insurance Company, as a way to invest in a solid source of rental income during a time in which it was prohibited to invest in stocks. The palace was named after the 16th-century English financier Sir Thomas Gresham, the founder of the Royal Exchange in London. In 1998 it was reconstructed as a hotel, retaining its original appearance of Art Nouveau architecture. Now it combines the best of it's best with the best in modern luxury. Looks amazing doesn't it. Definitely on my list!

I love New York. Yes cliche, but true. As many times as I have been there, I have never had the pleasure to be a guest at The Gansevoort Hotel in New York City. It's so cool and modern. One look at the lobby makes me think that I need to stay there during some future trip. I wonder what the rates are? Andi Pepper is the designer responsible for this incredible space. To me, the strong floors are a wonderful back drop to the strong burgundy and purple colors used. This could easily translate into a home. Isn't it so pretty? Makes me think of Valentines Day! Hmmm.... Gotta tell the hubby.

The Gramercy Park Hotel in New York City was designed by Phillipe Starck. I love the juxtaposition (that's my fancy designer word) of traditional formal furnishings, with bare, stripped ceilings and walls. The beautiful colors keeps it from looking too industrial and hard. It's a gorgeous space where few well placed pieces hold a lot of impact. This is on my list of must-visits. 

The Sanderson Hotel in London is at the extreme of modern design. It is so fun and whimsical. Even if ultra-modern isn't your cup of tea, the one thing you can take from this hotel lobby is that design doesn't have to be so serious. The unexpected use of color or shapes is what makes a room interesting. I had drinks there once or twice in my travels to London. Never actually stayed. I can tell you that the rest of the main areas of the hotel get more and more beautiful and interesting. Wonder if the rooms are comfy? 

The Standard Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles is just so LA cool and an example of minimalism at its best. It's very simple style speaks of the careful sophistication the designer used to exploit the space without overwhelming you. You can really see all of the architectural elements in the space because all other items are so edited. This requires a lot of very specific intent on the part of the designer and can be more difficult to do. Glamorous but reserved.

PUBLIC Chicago is so effortlessly designed. There are a lot of  beautiful architectural elements in this room - archways, moldings, trims. All are painted white. All are highlighted with subtle lighting. The rest of the space is kept neutral to highlight the beauty of the room. This is a great example of updating a 100+ year old space while maintaining the integrity of the original design, bringing it gently into the present. I know where I'm staying during my next trip to Chicago.
I just realized that I did not include a single beach location. I guess I'm in a winter frame of mind. I guess I'll have to come up with another list of Beach Lobbies. Do you have a favorite hotel? What do you love about it?

You can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest.


Copyright, Cristina Mullins Interiors, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment